Sunday 7 June 2009

The ultimate dress

I walked into the shop on Saturday determined not to come out without picking a dress for myself.

I went alone and I think this is why I was able to pick a dress in 20 minutes.


Choosing a wedding dress was almost becoming a big deal! But I finally bought one after trying on about 5 other dresses in 4 different stores. In many cases, I could see only one dress in each store that ticked all the boxes and so did not bother trying on others.


My sister was with me on previous trips and was very helpful but we have different tastes in clothes so making a choice was very complicated. There was a particular one I wore that brought tears to her eyes but I just was not feeling it...lol


Anyway, there are a few things I wanted my dress to have:

1. Lace up back (so I don’t have to adjust it with a tailor)

2. Detailed designs on the skirt

3. Figure flattering

4. Boobs ‘unrevealing’

5. Short train or no train

6. Any colour

7. Pocket friendly (max budget of £500 for dress and veil)

8. Absolutely NO NO to any dress that has a ‘pick-up’ skirt (I don’t have the height to carry such drama gracefully.)


Did I get all of this? Well I certainly tried but I had to compromise on a few things because I was bored of getting in and out of dresses.


On my dress shopping trips, I realised that many of the British gowns were not laced up at the back. This made me think seriously about buying my dress online from the US.


I compromised on this and picked a dress with a zipper at the back. (Have I mentioned the dress is stunning? Lol)


The dress is absolutely beautiful. It’s an A line boob tube dress. I intend to put some cap sleeves on because I have no intentions of wearing a jacket. Luckily my mum can sew! The neckline is straight (not sweetheart) so I’m sure I will have my delicates well concealed no matter how hard I dance and bend over.


The skirt of the dress is very detailed with intricate lace patterns and diamante stones. Some lovely covered buttons at the back of the dress (from the top to the end of the tail)


The tail is slightly longer than I wanted but I can make do with that.


It’s champagne in colour which means I will need gold accessories.


...and it cost £450


It has a pale plum coloured sash around the waist which gives it a 50’s look. (This gave me an idea for my bridesmaid’s dresses)


I have been thinking of wearing gold sandals because I don’t see why I should buy a white pair of shoes I will probably never wear again. I know this is unconventional but who cares!


PS: I must say that I am overwhelmed by the number of comments on my previous posts. Thanks for all the advice on dentals en al....


As an update: it feels absolutely normal now and I even forget I have had it done.

6 comments:

Downtheaisle said...

waoh dats a good buy you got for ur dress, and yet its stunning. I can imagine how you feel about the dress, (I'm still in love with my wedding dress).

I also felt the same way abt white shoes, I knew it wld be useless after the wedding so I opted for silver sandals instead.

***remember to get comfy heels for ur sandals, u'ld be doing lots of standing and dancing.

O'Dee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
O'Dee said...

So if I had followed you dress shopping, it would have taken you longer?????
I am not offended.

I love the colour of your dress n I so dig you wearing gold sandals.

You cannot afford to show any delicates as your gown may be refered to as "aso pin pin pin."! lol.

blog whenever you like, its your space. the main thing is visiting blogs, esp of those who come here.

How is brown sugar?

I need to send you an email.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

dont feel d need to wear white shoes, how about im wearing blue shoes? cos my dress has a bit of blue in it? its ur day and u can dress as u wish! ur dress sounds fab!

downtheaisle said...

moi again, I just re-read ur post and saw that ur dress cost 450pounds, i was thinking it was in dollars...lol!!!
well u didn't go off ur budget, and u like it...dat's the most important thing

Anonymous said...

that's a really good buy for such a lovely dress as described...weldone on not going over ur budget as well...I was also blessed; I got a dress that originally cost almost 2k pounds, discounted to 600 pounds, n it was lovelyyyyyyyyyy...

about the shoes...no need to worry about white or not, u don't have to do conventional; choose comfortable shoes with not-too-high heels...

i think u can blog as many or as few times as u can afford to, depending on ur theme...

my first time here, btw (I think...lol)